10.15.2006

Hamsters Part 14

In a shocking turn of events the hamsters have turned to cannibalism!

I went to clean the cages today and there were only 3 hamsters in the girls cage. I couldn't bring myself to dig through the bedding to find the dead body, that I thought I would inevitably find, on my own so I had Mark come over to do it for me.

After much searching in the cage he found bones and a bit of fur, the only remains of Hedgehog.

Apparently they fighting that has been going on for the past few weeks has been more that "just a little fighting". I'm not sure when exactly it happened. For sure there were four hamsters in the cage on Tuesday, but that was the last time I honestly took a good look. A friend of mine suggested if the corpse has been there, having died from natural causes, the hamsters may have eaten it in order to keep their environment clean.

I'd like to think that was the scenario, that I simply did not remove the corpse quickly enough, and not the alternative that the other hamsters ganged up on, killled and ate one of their own.

No comments: