11.09.2005

Soldering Iron: A Quest

Today my monitor managed to get broken, how you ask? Well that in and of itself is an excellent question, one I really wish I knew the answer to. But the fact is myself, my roommate and my ex were all tinkering with my computer case & monitor today, hooking up/un-hooking the KVM switch, etc. so I really don't know who exactly broke it... but someone managed to bend about 3 of the pins and break off another 2 pins in the connection that connects the monitor to the back of the computer. Which means my computer monitor does not work, not even kind of... so I can't use my new computer or my server and that means that I can't finish setting up the server! GRRR
So my ex came over today to look at the pins and to tell me it was impossible to bend them all back into place so I had to either get a new monitor or a new end. 21" monitors run these days about $600-800 and that's flat screen and no one sells the "old kind" that I like to use... so the option I chose was buying a new end and a soldering iron and attempting to repair the connection... Well surprisingly in this equation the end was the easier of the two things to find. I say surprising because I was sure the end would be the task that frustrated me. But no, the end we were able to order from a Calgary based wholesaler who agreed to send it down here express post, so it should arrive tomorrow. The soldering iron I had to go on a quest to find:
The quest began at the Source, formerly Radio Shack, where I was told none of the soldering irons were fine enough for what I needed. I left and went to London Drugs, who didn't sell soldering irons, nor did Future Shop, I continued onto Canadian Tire who did sell the soldering iron I quested after, only it was a super craftsman one that ran on butane and had a million accessories and would have cost $60. So I decided against it... so I came home without a soldering iron and a part on the way... Tomorrow I will continue the quest, I suppose, although short of traveling out to Home Depot I'm running out of ideas.. if anyone knows of anywhere I can get a soldering iron I'd appreciate it... LOL

No comments: