1.28.2007

Chris

An ex-colleague of my dad's is the step-mother of a guy I went to high school with, Chris. Chris and I were best friends for the better part of high school, but as often happens after high school we drifted apart. He moved up to Northern Ontario and I moved out to Alberta. We tried to connect via phone or e-mail over the years, an attempt here and there but all that ended about 3 years ago and I had not heard from him since.

The other day, through a Christmas card from the step-mom to my dad's work I was able to get an e-mail address through which to contact the step-mom to gain some information as to Chris's whereabouts... I e-mailed her a few weeks back, but to my dismay, heard nothing positive back from her. They were in the middle of a move and she had yet to unpack her address book with the contact information for Chris in it.

Today she finally replied back with a phone number and an address! I was over the moon! I have spent so many hours over the past few years worrying about Chris, wondering how he was doing and how his life has gone. Most of my friends from high school I knew would be okay on their own, but Chris was always a little more naive and innocent and I always worried the world would take advantage of him if I weren't there to protect him... which I haven't been for many years.

I called the number provided to me and got an answering machine, a comical message by Chris himself, no roomate, just Chris! It was so thrilling just to hear his voice again, to know that my gentle giant of a friend was okay, that he was still existing in this world and sounded none the worse for wear. I hope to talk to him soon, but just to know he is okay made my day! :-)

No comments: