2.28.2006

Sim Natzi's

Dad & I got into a discussion today about The Sims & Sim City. I was arguing that it was a good tool in the teaching of city planning... If more city planners utilized it to plan their cities they could plan cities that could function "perfectly".

This discussion arose due to a walk along busy Hespeler Rd. Wherein I commented that the walk would be nicer if it were through a forest or a park and not alongside a busy highway. I commented that if I could re-build the city as well as one can in Sim City I could make it perfect because I could design it the way a city should function. All the people who were like-minded about city design could then come live in my city.

I commented on how in the game Sim City everyone can design cities that are perfect and that they can make them as they feel they should function. Dad pointed out that they weren't actually the way people wanted them... They were the way the creators of Sim City deigned them to want them. The game functions within the parameters of the designers design, one can only do what the creators allow us to do through the programming of the game.

Sim City lets people make a world in which they can create the world to be exactly as they always dreamed it to be... Within the parameters of the game.... Rather ironic isn't it?

No comments: