9.27.2005

Appropriate Timing

The other night, Saturday to be exact, I was out at Essie's with my roommate. We had a few drinks. (Well truth be told perhaps more than a few drinks) As the night wore on I decided to go seek the company of others, other than my roommate that is. So I began circulating the bar, drink in hand. At some point my drink left my hand as I finished a second mini-pitcher of rum and diet coke. (Even in a drunken stupour I've given up un-diet pop, which always amuses me in retrospect.) I wandered back to the table where my roommate sat dutifully guarding my jacket and purse. I procured some money for more beverages and meandered back to the bar.
On the way there I met a rancher, a nice older man who offered to buy me a drink, I of course accepted and we talked while they prepared my drink. He then handed me my drink and left to find his friends saying he'd find me for a dance when they were playing country again. (The current tune was closer to Gwen Stefani than Kenny Chesney) I wandered back to my roommate taking him the drink I had procured for him after speaking with the charming rancher. At this point I realized the evening was winding down (it being half hour to last call) I began wandering again looking for a cowboy to dance with. I figured a night at Essie's would be wasted without dancing with at least one cowboy.
I came upon a guy, who was off to one side aways. I began speaking with him and hit up a conversation, he declined a dance, which was probably better as I was a fair bit too tipsy to keep my balance, let alone two-step. We talked until the bar closed and upon closing he asked for my number. Now I have only given out my number on a very few rare occasions, it is not something I normally do, or something my mother advises on. Also as my best friend Kar says, "You will never meet the man you're going to marry in a bar" so I thought it had been fun talking to him and as he lived out of town I figured it was safe enough. So I gave him my number and left with my roommate. (Which is another miracle as I am sure the guy asked me to leave with him.)
Which brings me to today, Tuesday, 3 days after going to the bar, with no phone call. I of course did not expect this guy to call me back, they never do anyways, it's more of a social etiquette thing to give one's number, the other party to promise to call and both leave acknowledging that your paths will probably never cross again. When I arrived home tonight there was a phone message on my cell phone (which I had turned off while in class.) It was from the guy at the bar! I couldn't believe it! He'd even waited the appropriate 3 days (so as not to seem desperate but also not to seem un-interested.) So now I come to a dilemma, do I call back a guy I met at the bar while drunk? And if so do I also wait an appropriate 3 days or does that bit of social etiquette only apply to the first call? Well I suppose I will have to decide by Friday at any rate. What a funny situation I've found myself in. LOL

No comments: