9.29.2005

Hamsters Part 3

So today I had to purchase another hamster cage, that makes 3 in total! I had the one I had originally purchased which was a Gigi starter cage from Petcetera that came with food dish, wheel, water bottle and elevated house with ladder. I also, upon getting my two new hamsters purchased food, snacks, hamster bedding fluff, mineral stone and hamster ball (the kind you can let the hamster roam the apartment in.)
This one cage sufficed well enough for one hamster back a year ago when I had only one. It seems though that it wasn't really big enough for two hamsters as they were often getting in each others space and fighting (well I thought it was fighting, in light of KusKus though I'm thinking it may have been something else...) So when my roommate's mom took us to Wal-Mart on the 5th of September I bought a second cage. A Habitrail Playground cage that came with turn-table, food dish, water bottle, and "exploration station." (basically a little tunnel with a clear plastic, lidded area attached to the cage.) In addition I purchased Habitrail Playground tubing and built a walk-way from the old cage to the new so that they had twice the area to play in.
The other day KusKus, being the wiley little "toddler" that he is managed to get out of the opening in the cage that the access tube went into from the Playground cage to the Gigi cage. Neither my roommate nor I saw how this was accomplished but as best as we can surmise she would have had to have climbed upside down to get to the opening. We found her (thankfully) behind the couch and at that point I took out the tubing and shut up both cages securely. In doing so I also separated Gerbil from Mouse & KusKus as I really do want to clean out the cage and am unable to until Mouse stops having litters.
The cage I bought today is pretty cool, it looks like it's from outer space. It's a CritterTrail X It has a slide and a really innovative hamster wheel on a track, a drip-system water bottle, a food dish and an observation deck that doubles as a mini cage for during cleaning time. It is supposed to be compatible with Habitrail tube systems but upon closer inspection this doesn't actually seem to be the case as Habitrail tubes are too big to fit onto the cage in the manner they are supposed to. C'est la Vive I suppose. So now I have all three cages set up with for hamsters with shavings, bedding, water & food. I still need to purchase some more mineral stones so they each can have one but other than that I am pretty set to endure the worst of the litters. LOL

No comments: