1.18.2006

The Geek Code

After hearing Joe & Jer rave all afternoon about "User Friendly" comic strip I just had to find out for myself what this craze was all about. Of course being me upon logging onto http://www.userfriendly.org/ I was immediately distracted. Well not technically immediately, I got as far as the archive section and then saw "Character Gallery" and thought "oooh that would be interesting" and clicked on it. This took me, eventually, to a line reading "UF category for Geek Code".

This got the old wheels turning hearkening me back to my early days of the net where I subscribed to said "Geek Code". Now what is this code you ask? Well it's a nifty little identifying code thought up by Robert A. Hayden for one geek to identify another geek primarily through his/her .signature where one places their personal code. I of course deemed it perfectly reasonable at gone midnight to figure out what my current, personal code would be.

This took me on a rambling journey of self-discovery, searching of newsgroups, wikipedia and the web at large and only one call to Shaw tech support for SMTP settings, for all the information needed to make a personalized code. It was all quite exhausting, but a lot of fun.

So I know you are now dying to know what my geek code is.... Right? Well here it is at 3:45am... LOL.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GPA/IT d---(-) s--:+ a-- C++(++++) UB+>+++ P+ L+(++)>+++ !E
W++(+++) N+ o K w+(++) !O M-(--) !V PS+++ PE-- Y+ PGP- t* 5+ X++ R(+)>+++ tv(+) b+++ DI++++ D++ G e++ h-- r(+)>++ x+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Now I bet you all want to know what that means and how to get your own geek code... Well you can read the entire geek code and learn how to make your own here:http://www.geekcode.com/geek.html and I found a nifty decoder so once you've made a code you can check you got it all right, or similarly quickly read other people's geek codes until you get the hang of all the abbreviations, the decoder can be found here: http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/

So Have Fun!!! LOL

No comments: