7.11.2005

The Family That Dyes Together...

My family is very into the personal expression through body decoration. Each member of my household has piercings, tattoos & dyed hair. In fact the local tattoo parlour gives our family discounts on piercings and body art as we go so often. Now I know you are thinking that we are a family of metal-clad, spiky haired freaks, which we are not. We are just a normal-looking family. Now what is the point of this you're asking? My point is that just because someone chooses to pierce, tattoo, or dye themselves they are no less of a person than those who choose not to, they are also not using personal expressions as "cries for help" or as a means to live an alternative lifestyle. Some people just like the way their hair looks blue better than other colours or they enjoy something enough to advertise it on their skin, or they enjoy adorning themselves differently by adding piercings. Sorry for the randomness of this one, I was recently confronted by a family member regarding my tattoo, the relative claimed I belonged in Africa as it was "so tribal" a thing to do. Imagine that? In this society to think a tattoo is tribal? Whatever! BTW my tattoo is of a Jesus fish, how very tribal!! LOL

No comments: