7.09.2005

Oddity of Vacationing

It's an odd thing, going on vacation to a cottage or camping. People take the time to pack up all their possessions, often with the necessity of renting vehicles, in order to go away for the week. "To get away from it all" and "rough it" with all the necessities and luxuries of home.
It is an odd society we live in that possessions and creature comforts are so important to us that we cannot leave anything behind, even for a week, to enjoy time in nature. We still pack the fan so the temperature is kept, the TV and VCR/DVD so we have something to do if it rains, the pots, pans, etc. So we have the right sized saucepan to make the food in. Of course also all the different sized towels, assortment of soaps, array of hair and body accessories, all so we look good wile we "rough it."
I of course am putting no one down, I myself do the same thing, every time I go away for vacation packing vastly more than I would ever need for the time I am there and then having to wash everything regardless of whether I used it or not. "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best" is my motto, unfortunately the returning from vacation means unpacking all the things brought for the worst when we had the best.

No comments: