10.07.2005

A Little Friend

I went to the movie theatre tonight to see "Serenity" in the end plans fell through which sucks, but that's life and they'll be other plans at other times. Anyways the point is not that plans fell through. The point is that I don't much like the way society rears it's children.
I was sitting on a bench waiting for my friend to show up and a little girl of perhaps five came up and started talking to me. She said hello and told me her name, she asked my name and asked if I liked her pink coat. She was very charming and sweet and so innocent, she was just trying to make friends. Her older sister who was perhaps 8 came up to her and put her hand on her shoulders and guided her away from me, she looked over the girls head at me and smiled apologetically and said "sorry about that, she doesn't know better." I thought how sad that was. The little girl in all her innocence didn't see a sullen punk girl with pink hair and piercings sitting there, all she saw was someone who looked like they needed a friend and she took it upon herself in her five-year old wisdom to be a friend.
I'm not saying that people should let their kids talk to strangers or be disobedient or be bothersome, I'm simply saying that perhaps the wisdom and innocence and perceptiveness of children is in many cases more accurate than that of adults.

No comments: