12.04.2005

A Weekend of Plays

So this weekend my Playwriting class had their final "get-together and review each other's plays." We still have one day of class (Wed) but other than that we are done. Our plays are due Dec 12, not in their entirety but five acts of them (15+ pages). I wrote a play about a DJ named Jimmy the Player who basically does that, plays songs, plays people and plays women. The play is about his manipulation of his co-workers, producer and girlfriend over the course of an evening "on the air". It's a one-act play so play time should be around half an hour to forty-five minutes when all is said and done. Right now I'm sitting at 14 pages and about 20-30 minutes of play time (cold read that is.) I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing, it sounds like I wanted it to in my head and my prof seemed to like the premise and the ideas for the ending. Although I have enough written to hand it in un-finished I would really like to get it completed before I hand it in. I just don't think I'd finish it later if I don't now and I feel it has potential as a piece and I'd hate to see it get shoved in a drawer somewhere... But we will see, time restraints and all.
I at least hope to get the final conflict scene written by Wednesday so I can have classmates try it out in cold read and see if it sound right, but again we shall see. One of the major dilemmas I'm having at this point is that I really have a strong start and I don't want it to end weakly, I want it to climax nicely and not have the bad guy win in the end, I want him to learn a lesson, but it not to be a Saturday morning special so to speak. I also want to have appropriate language for the piece and the characters and not have them swear just for the sake of swearing 'cuz I actually really don't like swearing in theatre or in real life (although I know I'm bad for it at times). So we shall see where this goes...
If any of y'all wanna read it just fire me off an e-mail and I'll see what I can do about getting you a copy. :)

No comments: